Tuesday, April 24, 2007

so long shania

Logged into iameveryone's last.fm account and played Neighbour Radio again. Noted -- just like last.fm -- Radiohead was top of the pops. Weekly top artists were as follows: Nina Simone, Old 97's, Lily Allen, Belle and Sebastian, The Postal Service, Modest Mouse, Shania Twain, Spoon, The Beatles and Controller 7. Any surprises there?

I am wondering if an attempt to befriend the 50 neighbours showing up on IAEs last.fm Overview page has been made now that enough tracks have been played to generate the lists on a weekly basis? Does IAE have time for this?

Ran iameveryone through mainstream on vincentahrend.com and found IAE is 36.26% of mainstream! That's the rolling stat... I think it would be a little more interesting to track this data from week to week. IAE was -- for plays falling between 15th and 22nd of April 2007 -- 30.45% of mainstream! As time passes, and participation hopefully grows, do you think the stats will fall in line with those posted by last.fm or veer off in another direction?

Logged into IAEs blogger account and streamlined the html running the template. With the compressed code, the IAE blogger pages should load 25 to 28% faster (and running a few test loads on various browsers seems to bear this out). It's the little things, eh. (As I doubt casual users of IAE's last.fm are bothering with reading the mail), I posted a couple of last.fm mails I though worth launching into the blogosphere.

Read the 23rd of April 2007 entry concerning IAEs eighteen month parcel wait; sounds -- as the package was in such good condition -- it never left the company's mail/shipping department; went down behind a desk or something. Wrote up this post and signed out of IAE's last.fm account, noticing someone else had slid into the account, playing Def Leppard and Guns 'n Roses and Metallica. So long, Shania.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Great stat analysis. Thanks. I have been wary of trying to friend more people since that one person freaked out and accused me of spamming. So I am just waiting to see what happens without me interfering. And there's been quite a bit of activity. The only downside to this communal editing is that I have no idea how many people are actually doing the editing! So anyway, I started this project, and I'd love some direct feedback if you want to reveal yourself. If not, keep on doing whatever you want. This is all good stuff. Thanks.

i am gay said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence, appreciated.

I understand about the freak out, perhaps it's best to "see what happens without interference". I prefer the sound of that, actually.

I do plan to, when I have a bit of free time, surf last.fm while signed in as IAE. Those with subscriptions will note the visits; perhaps the curious will click through and discover. Is this okay with you? To my way of thinking, I'd be doing just what the normal last.fm user does.

As far as editing goes, I've documented all the changes I've made. Granted someone could make whole-scale changes and write 'em up as I have, seeking continuance. If that happens, I'll make it known to you (as I don't plan to fiddle with any more code or formatting in the future).

Hope this is feedback enough and, by the way, I love the idea of IAE (as you may have gathered). Cheers!

Lisa said...

Feel free to do whatever you want as IAE in last.fm. The more you surf as IAE, the more personality IAE develops. That's really what I am especially interested in developing.

i am gay said...

Hi Lisa.

An interesting development; I went to write up the stats as another thousand tracks had been scrobbled and discovered 'everyone' is/are locked out of 'log in'. Not a hijack, the hijacker writes, but others are prevented from scrobbling and participating this week.

Perhaps the jacker does not realize that multiple users signed into the account have all their playlists scrobbled simultaniously. Hopefully, those who have been particating up to this point are not dissuaded, from returning to scrobble in the future, by the actions of this person.

It would be a nice gesture, don't you think, for the jacker to open up his subscriber account for a week so others might play on it during his absence. Cheers!

Lisa said...

Hi, yeah, I just noticed that redhalo changed the password. Since the week is almost already over, I'll just let him continue to be the dj for the rest of the week. Your suggestion was a good one. But I didn't notice it in time, unfortunately. It's an interesting takeover though. I kind of like it.